I’ve been talking about collagen for years. It’s my secret potion for youthful skin, agile joints, a healthy gut, a slim waist, and so much more!
In fact, there’s plenty of scientific evidence proving that collagen is way more than hype. Which is what I’m going to share with you in this article.
But first, let me briefly explain what collagen is and why you need it.
What is Collagen?
Collagen is one of the most abundant proteins in your body. You’ll find it in your skin, hair, nails, cartilage, and bones.
As we age, our bodies naturally produce less collagen. Our collagen is also constantly exposed to free radicals from toxins in our food and environment, which causes it to break down. These are two key reasons why our skin begins to sag and our joints get achy.
Thus, to slow down the aging process, it’s important to protect your collagen by reducing your exposure to toxins and eating an antioxidant rich diet filled with lots of colorful vegetables.
It’s also important to boost the synthesis of new collagen. To do so, you must give your body the right building blocks, which primarily consists of the amino acids glycine and proline. And collagen protein powders as well as bone broth are packed with them.
Benefits of Adding Collagen to Your Diet
Adding collagen to your diet can improve the way you look and feel in many ways. So let me break them down for you from a scientific point of view…
- Promotes youthful, radiant skin: Women have been using collagen for centuries to help keep their skin smooth. Collagen is like Mother Nature’s Botox, erasing wrinkles and reversing sagging and stretch marks. Stronger skin also means less cellulite.
In these two double-blind, placebo-controlled studies, researchers found 8 weeks of collagen supplementation lead to a 12% increase in skin moisture, a 9% increase in collagen density, and a 31.2% reduction in collagen degradation when compared to the placebo group.
Now if you’re thinking this sounds too good to be true, numerous experimental studies have shown that hydrolyzed collagen is readily absorbed by the body and efficiently transported to the deepest layers of your skin where it works its magic.
- Strengthens hair and nails: Collagen peptides contain specific amino acids (proline and cysteine) that are used to synthesize the major structural component of your hair and nails, known as keratin.
One group of researchers conducted two experiments to see if gelatin (cooked collagen) affected hair. They reported, “The most dramatic effect of supplementing the normal diet with 14 grams of gelatin daily was an increase in hair diameter averaging 9.3% in the first study and 11.3% in the second study. Approximately 70% percent of the subjects in both studies showed increases in hair diameter ranging from 5% to 45%.”
In this study, women taking collagen protein powder for a period of 4 weeks experienced a 12% increase in nail growth and a 42% decrease in nail breakage. In addition, 80% of study participants reported an improvement in the appearance of their nails.
Thus, instead of spending your money on fancy skin serums, conditioners, and nail treatments, give your body what it really needs–more collagen.
- Fights inflammation: Glycine, an abundant amino acid in collagen supplements, has been shown to reduce local and systemic inflammation. This is important because inflammation is linked to every modern disease and you can’t lose weight if your body is inflamed.
Lowering inflammation also reduces symptoms of autoimmune disorders, which is why my patients with arthritis, celiac disease, and psoriasis swear by the healing powers of collagen.
- Supports weight loss: Glycine promotes fat loss and helps to preserve muscle mass. One way in which this works is by stimulating the release of glucagon–a hormone that releases stored body fat to be used as fuel to make energy.
In addition, glycine enhances insulin sensitivity, which makes it easier for your body to burn fat and reduces your risk of metabolic syndrome and diabetes.
Further, glycine regulates the secretion of human growth hormone (HGH), which increases your body’s ability to burn fat. HGH also helps sculpt lean muscle. And the more muscle you have, the more fat you’ll burn.
- Eases joint pain: In this randomized, placebo-controlled, double-blind study, athletes with joint pain experienced a significant reduction in pain (assessed by a physician) after 24 weeks of supplementation with hydrolyzed collagen as compared to the placebo group.
- Heals your gut: Researchers speculate that glycine stabilizes your gut mucosa by decreasing damage from excess acid and/or increasing protective mechanisms such as gastric mucosal blood flow.
Studies also reveal that glycine specifically heals and protects the gut via its anti-inflammatory, immune regulatory, and cell-protective activities.
These gut healing properties are so critical because a sick gut is one of the leading causes of systemic inflammation.
- Prevents oxidative stress: Both glycine and proline found in collagen protect your body against free radicals, which is essential for slowing down the aging process and preventing disease.
- Promotes sleep: Sleep is such as essential pillar of health. It’s when your body repairs and rejuvenates itself. Yet so many of us are deprived. Which is another reason why I love collagen.
This study demonstrated that consuming glycine before bed offered both subjective and objective improvements in sleep quality and quantity. Participants were also less tired during the day and their memory felt stronger.
The same researchers performed a similar study and participants treated with glycine before bed reported feeling less tired, more lively, and more clear-headed in the morning when compared to a placebo group.
Are you impressed yet? If not, there’s more…
The Additional Powers of Glycine and Proline
Here’s what else glycine can do for you:
- Aid detoxification to cleanse and revitalize your cells
- Protect your body against shock from hemorrhage, endotoxins, and sepsis
- Improve blood flow to your heart, liver, kidney, intestine, and skeletal muscle
- Reduce injuries to your liver and kidneys caused by toxins and drugs
- Protect the lining of your stomach from the development of ulcers
To Sum it Up…
These are some pretty impressive benefits. Wouldn’t you agree? And they’re all backed by science as well as years of experience.
Now considering how easy AND delicious it is to add collagen powders and bone broth to your diet, it’s a no brainer in my book.
Getting your daily dose of collagen is a huge part of my Bone Broth Diet as well as my new program–The 10-Day Belly Slimdown–about to hit store shelves.
For your convenience and enjoyment, I’ve even created several delectable drinks and shakes that contain a daily dose of collagen along with other nutrient rich ingredients such as almonds, chocolate, and one of my favorites–coffee!
Keep thinking Big and living BOLD!