Prep time: 20 min • Cook time: 30 min • Yield: 4 servings
- 4 green bell peppers, tops removed and seeded
- 3 tablespoons coconut oil, divided
- 1 pound ground bison
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 small zucchini, chopped
- 1/2 a yellow bell pepper, chopped
- 1/2 a red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 1/2 cups fresh spinach
- One 14.5-ounce can diced tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon Italian Seasoning
- Salt and Pepper, to taste
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Wrap the green peppers in aluminum foil and place in a baking dish. Bake for 15 minutes; remove and set aside.
- In a skillet, heat 1 tablespoon of the coconut oil and cook the bison over medium heat until it’s evenly brown. Remove to a separate bowl.
- Heat the remaining oil in the skillet and cook the onions, zucchini, and red and yellow bell peppers until tender. Add the spinach in the last 2 minutes to wilt.
- Return the bison to the skillet. Mix in the tomatoes and the tomato paste and season with the Italian Seasoning. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Stuff the green peppers with the bison mixture. Return the peppers to the oven and cook for another 15 minutes.
Vary It! If you’re unable to get ground bison, these peppers are just as delicious with ground beef.
Tip: These peppers are the perfect go-to lunch, so make plenty! They’re easy to carry, easy to heat up, and perfectly balanced.