Prep time: 30 min • Cook time: 5 hours • Yield: 2 servings
- 8 ounces very lean ground beef (95% lean)
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup canned diced tomatoes with juice
- ¼ cup chopped celery
- ¼ cup chopped onions
- 1 teaspoon medium chili powder
- ½ teaspoon minced garlic
- Pinch red pepper flakes or more
- Pinch dried oregano
- ¼ teaspoon fine sea salt
- Fresh ground pepper
- 1 cup ¼-inch diced zucchini
- 2 tablespoons chopped scallions
- In a large non-stick skillet brown the ground beef over medium-high heat, stirring often to break up lumps.
- Place the beef in a slow cooker with all the ingredients EXCEPT for the zucchini. Cover, and cook for 4-hours on the low setting. Add the zucchini, stir well, and cook for 1 more hour.
- Adjust the salt and pepper to taste and serve hot, garnished with scallions.
The beef must be very lean for this to be calorie friendly. You can also substitute chicken or turkey for the beef