Prep time: 30 min • Yield: 16 to 20 pops
- 1 cup dark chocolate (i.e. Enjoy Life brand) or dark chocolate (at least 70% dark)
- 1 ½ cups hazelnuts, toasted with the skins rubbed off
- 1 cup medjool dates, pitted & packed
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Pinch sea salt
- Paper straws or cake pop sticks.
- Powdered sugar, colored holiday sprinkles, or maldon salt for finishing (optional)
- In a double boiler or microwave, melt ½ cup of the chocolate. Remove from heat when melted.
- In a food processor, process hazelnuts, dates, vanilla, and salt until fully incorporated.
- Add in roughly 2 to 3 tablespoons of the melted chocolate to the date nut mix and continue processing to fully incorporate.
- Place the mixture in a container and freezer for about 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, if using paper straws, cut them to the size for a cake pop stick. Cover a flat dish that will fit in your refrigerator with parchment.
- Remove dough from freezer, scoop into walnut-sized pieces, and roll into balls. Dip straw or cake pop sticks into melted chocolate and insert into the center of each ball about half way through. Using a spoon as needed, dip balls into the chocolate and place on prepared parchment paper with the stick pointing straight up. Refrigerate until chocolate hardens.
- Optionally dust with powdered sugar, colored holiday sprinkles, or maldon salt.