Prep time: 10 min • Cook time: 15 min • Yield: 4 to 6 servings
- 1 cup coconut cream
- ¼ cup pure maple syrup
- ¼ cup Meyer lemon juice, about 2 medium Meyer lemons*
- Zest of 3 lemons
- 6 large eggs plus 2 yolks
- Pinch salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a medium saucepan, whisk together coconut cream, maple syrup, lemon juice, zest, eggs and yolks, and salt.
- Cook over medium heat, whisking constantly, until the mixture thickens, about 12 to 15 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and pour into 6 individual dessert or custard cups. Serve warm or chilled. If serving chilled, top with any combination of fresh berries and garnish with mint.
Notes: In the middle of winter when Meyer lemons are in season I absolutely have to make a luscious lemon dessert. This creamy custard fills the bill. Its velvety texture and deep rich flavor make a fabulous dessert, and it’s so easy to make!
If you’re not familiar with Meyer lemons, you want to be! They are much sweeter and less acidic than the more common supermarket varieties. Meyer lemons are a cross between a lemon and a mandarin or sweet orange and have thin, deep yellow aromatic skin with a tinge of orange when fully ripe. They are rounder and juicier than lemons and are harvested mostly in the winter. Enjoy them when they’re in season! The Meyer lemon gets its flavor from its thymol content and contains limonene, a type of flavonoid that protects the immune system.