Prep time: 10 min • Cook time: 3 min • Yield: 6 servings
- 2 tablespoons pasture-raised beef gelatin, i.e. Great Lakes Gelatin
- ½ cup cold water (to soften dried gelatin)
- 3 cups boiling water
- Handful fresh basil leaves, about ½ cup
- ¼ cup cold water (for basil)
- ½ cup freshly squeezed lime juice, about 4 to 5 Persian limes
- 3 to 4 tablespoons honey
- About 5 to 6 large strawberries
- Basil leaves for garnish
- Add the gelatin to the cold water to soften. Bring 3 cups water to boil. While waiting for the water, add basil leaves and ¼ cup water to blender and blend until the leaves are dissolved into the water. Pour basil water through a fine mesh sieve, add to gelatin, and stir.
- Pour boiling water over the gelatin and stir until the gelatin is dissolved. Add lime juice and honey to taste. Pour gelatin into 6 dessert cups. Refrigerate for about an hour and add fruit. Refrigerate until fully gelled and serve cold. Garnish with fresh basil.
- Optionally top with whipped coconut cream.
Notes: You can also make this in a two-quart mold or in a serving bowl if you prefer. If you are making it as a molded dessert, add 2 teaspoons gelatin to the recipe.
You can also use kaffir limes to achieve a totally different flavor.