Adding Italian herbs and tomatoes to a basic pot roast recipe enhances the flavors. Pressure cooking makes for fast preparation and seals in all the juices. The result is a super tender pot roast enhanced with aromatics.
Instant Pot Italian Pot Roast
Prep time: 15 min • Cook time: 25 mins • Yield: 6 servings
- 3 to 3 ½ pound boneless beef chuck roast, trimmed
- 3 cloves garlic, very thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon pasture-raised butter or ghee
- ¼ teaspoon or more freshly ground black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon Celtic or Pink Himalayan salt
- 2 cups beef bone broth
- 1 tablespoon coconut aminos
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 to 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme leaves, or 1 teaspoon dried*
- 2 teaspoons fresh oregano, chopped, or 1 teaspoon dried*
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil leaves, chopped, or 1 teaspoon dried*
- 1 pound small white onions, Cipollini or pearl onions, blanch for 1 – 2 mins and peel
- 4 carrots, peeled and cut into bite-size rounds
- 3 parsnips, peeled and cut into bite-size rounds
With a sharp knife cut small slits about ¾ inch deep in the roast and insert garlic slices, pushing down with your finger. Season with salt and pepper. Set your Instant Pot to the sauté setting,** heat butter/ghee and brown roast on all sides.
Pour in beef bone broth, coconut aminos, tomato paste, celery, bay leaf, thyme, oregano, and basil and seal the lid. Using your cooker’s instructions, bring the cooker up to full pressure. Reduce heat to low, maintaining full pressure, and cook for 45 minutes.
Use the quick-release method to lower the pressure. Add onions, carrots, and parsnips, and seal the lid. Bring the cooker up to full pressure and cook for an additional 10 minutes. Use the quick-release method again and transfer the roast and vegetables to a serving platter.
* You can substitute 1 tablespoon dried Italian seasonings for these 3 herbs.
* *If your electric pressure cooker does not have sauté setting, sauté ingredients on the stove top. If you are using a non-electric pressure cooker that you use on the stove top, you can sauté in the same pot.