The delicate flavor and texture of leeks combined with the earthiness of mushrooms turn ordinary chicken breasts into creamy deliciousness. Pressure cooking makes for fast preparation and seals in all the juices and flavors.
Instant Pot: Chicken with Leeks and Mushrooms
Prep time: 15 mins • Cook time: 10 mins • Yield: 6 servings
- 6 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- ½ teaspoon Celtic or Pink Himalayan salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 4 tablespoons pasture-raised butter or ghee
- 3 pounds medium leeks, white and pale green parts only, sliced into circles
- ½ cup dry white wine or chicken bone broth
- 1¼ pounds cremini or button mushrooms, sliced ¼” thick
- 2 tablespoons arrowroot
- ½ cup unsweetened almond milk (not vanilla)
- Scallions or fresh parsley to garnish, optional
Pat chicken dry and season with salt and pepper. Set your Instant Pot/pressure cooker to the sauté setting*, heat butter/ghee and brown chicken on both sides. Remove chicken from cooker and transfer to a plate.
Add wine to cooker and deglaze by boiling on sauté setting or on high heat, stirring and scraping up brown bits, until reduced to about 2 tablespoons, 1 to 2 minutes. Stir in wine/broth, leeks and mushrooms. Top leeks and mushrooms with chicken breasts and juices from plate. Using your cooker’s instructions, bring the cooker up to full pressure. Reduce heat to low, maintaining full pressure, and cook for 8 minutes. Allow to naturally release for 4 minutes, then release any remaining pressure using the quick release method.
Transfer chicken to a plate. Stir arrowroot into almond milk and add to Instant Pot returning to sauté setting or on high heat, stirring occasionally, until thickened, about 2 minutes. Serve chicken on top of leeks and mushrooms.
Note: *If your electric pressure cooker does not have sauté setting, sauté ingredients on the stove top. If you are using a non-electric pressure cooker that you use on the stove top, you can sauté in the same pot.