Prep time: 20 min • Yield: 4 servings
- 2 medium heads Romaine lettuce, washed and left whole
- 2 teaspoons coconut oil, melted
- ⅓ cup extra virgin olive oil
- Juice of 1 lemon, about 2 tablespoons (Meyer’s lemons are even better!)
- 1 tablespoons water
- 2 teaspoons anchovy paste or 1 anchovy fillet
- ½ teaspoon finely minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon coconut oil
- 1 to 2 teaspoons capers, rinsed
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat grill to medium high, about 400ºF.
- While the grill preheats, combine all salad dressing ingredients in a small bowl and whisk to blend, or put all ingredients in a jar with a tight-fitting lid and shake vigorously.
- Preheat small sauté pan with 1 teaspoon coconut oil on medium high heat. Add capers and fry for about 3 to 4 minutes until crispy.
- Cut Romaine heads in half the long way, keeping the core intact so most of leaves remain connected to the core. Some of the outer-most leaves will separate; save them for another use. Melt 2 teaspoons coconut oil and brush the cut half of the Romaine. Place Romaine halves on the grill cut-side down. Grille until charred and slightly wilted, 2 to 3 minutes. Brush the tops of the Romaine heads, turn and repeat grilling process.
- Plate Romaine, top with dressing, sprinkle on capers and freshly ground pepper. Serve immediately.