If you are interested in fighting the Sugar Demon click below!
Prep time: 30 min • Cook time: 15 min• Yield: varies
- BBQ grill or a grill pan
- Assorted fruit of your choosing; pineapple, peaches, nectarines, apricots, plums, pluots, and pears work very well; plan about 4 – 5 slices of fruit per person for dessert
- ¾ cup coconut chips, toasted
- ½ cup pecans, toasted and coarsely chopped
- 1 to 2 tablespoons coconut oil, melted
- 1 cup coconut sugar
- 4 tablespoons ghee or pasture raised butter
- ½ cup full fat coconut milk
- Pinch salt
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Prepare charcoal until the coals are white and ashy or preheat propane/gas grill to high. (Wait to heat grille pan until just before cooking if you are not grilling outside.)
- If you are using a pineapple, cut off the top and bottom of the pineapple. With a sharp knife, cut off the hard outside skin. It’s okay if there are still a few “eyes” left. Cut in half lengthwise. Place half pineapple face-down on the cutting board and cut in half the long way. Cut out the hard core. Cut each section into 3 to 4 slices, the long way. Stone fruit and pears can be cut into 6 to 8 wedges.
- For the carmel sauce, mix sugar, butter, coconut milk, and salt in a saucepan over medium-low heat. Cook while whisking gently for 6 to 8 minutes, until it thickens. Stir in vanilla and let cool.
- Brush both sides of fruit lightly with caramel sauce.
- Be sure the grill is very clean. Brush with coconut oil, and place fruit on grill.
- Depending on the fruit and how thick it was cut, grill for 1 to 2 minutes per side to mark fruit.
- Serve fruit with remaining caramel sauce, toasted coconut, and pecans.
This caramel sauce is unbelievably delicious; however, it is very sweet and meant to be an occasional treat not an everyday go-to food. Store any leftover sauce in the refrigerator. When you are ready to use it, you can place the container in a bowl of hot water or microwave for a few seconds if it is too thick. This caramel sauce is great to swirl through homemade coconut milk ice cream, use between cake layers, or use to sweeten pies.