Prep: 15 min • Cook: 1 to 2 hrs • Yield: varies depending on pot size; these ingredients are sufficient for a gallon of broth
- 2 or more pounds raw* chicken bones/carcasses (from about 3 or 4 chickens)*
- 6 to 8 chicken feet or 1 pig’s foot*
- One whole chicken and additional wings or thighs, optional*
- 2 to 4 carrots, scrubbed and roughly chopped
- 3 to 4 stalks organic celery, including leafy part, roughly chopped
- 1 medium onion, cut into large chunks
- 1 tomato, cut into wedges (optional)
- 1 or 2 whole cloves garlic
- 2 teaspoons peppercorns
- ¼ to ½ cup apple cider vinegar, depending on the size of the pot
- Enough purified water to just cover the bones when they are in the pot
Place all the bones, vegetables and the peppercorns in pressure cooker. Add the vinegar and enough purified water to cover everything by 1 inch.
Cover pressure cooker and secure the lid. Cook on high heat and bring the pot up to its full pressure. This will likely take 10 – 15 minutes.
Reduce the heat to maintain the pressure and cook for 45 to 60 minutes. Turn off the heat and allow the pressure cooker to release pressure naturally; about 15 minutes. Open pressure cooker and follow instructions for storage.