*Paleo & Primal Approved
Prep time: 30 min • Cook time: 10 min • Yield: about 5 cups
- 2 cans full fat coconut milk (about 13.5 ounces each)
- 1 can coconut cream (about 13.5 ounces)
- ½ cup coconut sugar
- 2 teaspoons instant espresso coffee crystals (or to taste)
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 rounded teaspoons instant espresso coffee crystals
- 6 large egg yolks
- ½ cup dark chocolate chips (optional)
- Open all three cans of coconut milk/cream. Pour off the liquid from the coconut cream and reserve for later use. (It’s great in a smoothie.) You should have about 1 cup of coconut cream (measured in a dry measuring cup) and about 5/8 to 1 cup coconut water (measured in a liquid measure).
- Pour coconut milk, coconut cream, coconut sugar, and espresso crystals into a medium saucepan and bring almost to a simmer. Reduce heat if necessary so the mixture does not boil, but it should be steamy.
- Whisk egg yolks in a medium bowl. Very slowly drizzle a ladle full of the coconut mixture into the eggs while constantly whisking the eggs. You must introduce the warm coconut milk mixture to the eggs very slowly so you don’t cook the eggs. While constantly whisking, continue to ladle coconut mixture into the eggs slowing and carefully until fully combined. If you do see small particles of cooked egg, put mixture through a fine mesh sieve and discard bits of cooked egg.
- Transfer mixture back into the saucepan. Over medium to medium low heat stir constantly with a wooden spoon or rubber spatula so eggs and coconut mixture do not separate. Continue stirring until mixture is steamy but not yet simmering. Remove pan from heat. Transfer into another container and refrigerate until fully chilled. To accelerate the process, place mixture in freezer to chill. Do not freeze.
- When fully chilled, pour mixture into an ice cream maker and process according to manufacturer’s instructions. Store in a sealed container in the freezer. When fully frozen, you will need to let it sit out for a few minutes before scooping. Optionally serve with dark chocolate chips.
Click here to find the best way to store your Gelato.