Prep time: 20 min • Cook time: 25 min • Yield: 4 to 5 servings, depending on ramekin size
- five 5 ½- to 6-ounce ramekins or four 7- to 8-ounce ramekins
- 2 teaspoons pasture-raised butter or ghee
- 1/3 cup coconut sugar
- 5 ounces dark/bittersweet chocolate, chopped; if you use dark chocolate chips, it is 1 scant cup
- 3 large egg yolks, at room temperature
- ¾ teaspoon espresso powder
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 6 large egg whites
- ¼ teaspoon cream of tartar
- Pinch salt
- Preheat oven to 375ºF. Place oven rack in the middle of the oven. Generously butter soufflé dishes.
- Melt chocolate in microwave or in the top of a double boiler. If using the microwave, heat in 30-second (or shorter) intervals at half power, stirring between each interval. If heating in a double boiler, begin stirring as soon as chocolate starts to melt. Remove bowl from microwave/heat and stir in egg yolks, espresso powder, and vanilla; the mixture will thicken.
- In a stand mixer, whip egg whites with cream of tartar and a pinch of salt at medium speed until soft peaks form. Add coconut sugar, a little at a time, continuing to whip at medium speed. Then beat at high speed until egg whites form stiff peaks. The mixture will be a beautiful pale caramel color. Stir about 1 cup whites into chocolate mixture to lighten it, then add mixture to remaining whites, folding by hand, gently but thoroughly.
- Spoon into soufflé dishes filling just to the top. Place soufflés on a sheet pan and bake in the middle of the oven until puffed and crusted on top but still slightly jiggly in the center, about 24 to 26 minutes. Do not open the oven as they are baking. Serve immediately.
Notes: The soufflé can be assembled up to 30 minutes before baking. Keep it covered with an inverted large bowl (do not let the bowl touch soufflé), at room temperature.
Tip: run your finger around the inner edge of the ramekins after they are filled. It helps the soufflé rise evenly.
Optionally, dust with powdered sugar and garnish with berries and mint. You can also serve it with coconut whipped cream.