Prep time: 5 min • Cook time: 11 hr • Yield: Six 1-cup servings
- 4-pound roasting chicken
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- ¼ cup roughly chopped onions
- ¼ cup roughly chopped celery
- ¼ cup roughly chopped carrots
- ½ teaspoon dried rosemary
- Rinse and pat the chicken dry. Place it in the slow cooker, season with the salt and pepper, and cook for 3-hours on high.
- Remove the chicken from the slow cooker and let it cool enough that you can handle it. Take all the chicken off the bones; refrigerate or freeze the chicken for future use.
- Return the bones and skin to the slow cooker and add the onions, celery, carrots and rosemary.
- Fill the slow cooker about two-thirds full with water (just enough to cover the carcass and bones, about 6 cups).
- Cook on low for 8-hours. Before using, strain the broth and discard the bones, skin, cooked vegetables, and rosemary.
If you buy a precooked roasted chicken, you can skip Step 1 and prepare the recipe before going to bed to wake up to a beautiful, delicious broth.