Prep time: 10 min • Cook time: 30 min • Yield: 4 servings
- 3 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- Pinch of salt, plus more to taste
- Pinch of pepper, plus more to taste
- 4 cups Brussels sprouts, trimmed and sliced
- 1/2 cup almonds, chopped
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries (no sugar added)
- Pinch of flaxseed, optional
- Preheat a large skillet on medium-low heat for 1- to 2-minutes. Add the coconut oil.
- Add the onions and garlic and season with the salt and pepper. Cook for a few minutes until the onions are translucent.
- Add the Brussels sprouts and stir to thoroughly coat with the oil. Sauté, adding more oil if the pan starts to dry out and brown. After a couple of minutes, add the almonds, cranberries and flaxseed, if desired.
- Stir thoroughly and cook until the sprouts are lightly caramelized. Salt and pepper to taste.
Vary It! Try adding chopped celery and napa cabbage to the sprouts for a different flavor and texture.
Tip: You can use this fabulous vegetable dish as the foundation for many different meals, so make extra! Not only is it a great side dish, but it’s also an awesome meal. Add grilled chicken or steak or top with eggs.