Click below to get my Food Swap Guide for free!
Prep time: 20 min • Cook time: 1 hour • Yield: 10 – 12 servings
For the filling:
- 2 ½ pounds of your favorite baking apples, about 7 – 8 cups
- 1 teaspoon grated orange zest, from about ½ medium orange
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed orange juice, from about 1 orange
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- pinch salt
- pinch ground ginger
For the topping:
- 1 cup pecans, coarsely chopped
- ½ cup walnuts, coarsely chopped
- ½ cup nut flour, i.e. almond, hazelnut, whatever you choose
- ¼ cup coconut sugar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons arrowroot
- 3 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, diced
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Butter or spray an oven-proof casserole or a 9 x 9-inch deep baking dish.
- Peel, core, and cut apples into wedges. Combine the apples with the remaining filling ingredients, and pour into the baking dish.
- To make the topping, combine all topping ingredients in a large bowl and sprinkle over the apples.
- Place the crisp on a sheet pan and bake for 1 hour or longer until the top is brown and the apples are bubbly. Check it at 30 minutes; you may need to loosely cover the top with foil so it doesn’t over brown. Serve warm, optionally with caramel sauce.
If you decide to be totally decadent, you can use my caramel sauce recipe (the one I used with grilled fruit) to drizzle over individual servings.