On October 2nd, Dr. Kellyann visited the Dr. Oz show with Mark Hyman, MD to talk turkey. And ham. And a little roast beef.
If you are following a paleo diet, and trying to get enough protein into your diet, cold cuts are a winner. Easy and ready to grab and go!
What do we find when we deconstruct deli meat?
Turkey, ham, bologna, or other deli meat that’s perfectly round and found in the case or behind the counter are made from multiple pieces of meat restructured to look like one whole piece.
And what about additives, nitrites and nitrates?
If you look on the label you’re going to see something that says “no nitrites or nitrates added”, you’ll usually still see a note that says “except for those naturally occurring in sea salt and celery powder. Celery powder does have naturally occurring nitrites that can carry the same risk. Make sure to have those in moderation! Watch for other additives as well. Read the label and avoid fillers, food starch, gluten and sugar.
So what are the healthiest deli meat brands?
Out of 260 different products, we narrowed it down to these top five picks:
- Land O’Frost Simply Delicious Hickory Smoked Ham
- Boar’s Head Simplicity® All Natural* Cap-Off Top Round Oven Roasted Beef
- Oscar Mayer Deli Fresh Lower Sodium Rotisserie Chicken Breast
- Applegate Naturals® Smoked Turkey Breast
- Boar’s Head Ovengold® Roasted Turkey Breast – Skinless
Watch the video!