Has this ever happened to you? About two weeks into a diet, you look in the mirror and say, “OMG. What’s happened to my face?” Suddenly, your skin looks saggy, dull, dry… and old. Some weight-loss professionals will tell you that it’s inevitable for your skin to take a hit when you diet. But you know what? It’s not. When you diet the right way, your skin will actually start to look smoother, brighter, and younger.
What’s the secret? Do the right things, and avoid doing the wrong things. It’s as simple as that. Here are nine ways to get beautiful skin as you shed those extra pounds.
1. Drink plenty of bone broth. Yeah, you knew this would top my list! And it deserves the #1 spot, because bone broth is loaded with collagen building blocks that smooth and nourish your skin. As I like to say, it’s like mainlining collagen to your skin.
2. Don’t skimp on the fat. Coconut oil, avocado oil, nuts, and fatty fish like salmon are loaded with fats that smooth and plump up your skin. And remember: Eating fat helps you burn fat. So in addition to doing your skin a favor, you’ll lose weight faster if you add some healthy fat to each meal.
3. Drink plenty of water—and green tea, too. Your skin craves moisture, so drink at least eight glasses of water each day. Add some green tea as well, because it’s rich in polyphenols that protect against aging.
4. Eat berries. Blueberries, in particular, are loaded with antioxidants that protect your skin. They’re also packed with vitamin C, which your body uses to help form collagen.
5. Reach for tomatoes. The lycopene in tomatoes offers powerful protection for your skin’s mitochondrial DNA, keeping it young and healthy.
6. Enjoy grass-fed beef. Pastured beef is high in skin-smoothing omega-3 fatty acids, as well as high-quality protein that builds strong skin.
7. Skip the grains. As you probably know, grains are taboo on my Bone Broth Diet. That’s because they pack pounds on you—and in addition, they’re murder on your skin. Grains are pro-inflammatory, so they make your skin look rough, old, and blotchy. The carbs in grains are also linked to acne.
8. Use the right salt. Regular table salt draws water out of your cells, making them saggy and creating bags under your eyes. Mineral salts, on the other hand, draw water into your cells, making them bouncy.
9. Get your circulation going. Exercise revs up your circulation, pulling nutrients into your skin cells and cleaning out debris that makes your skin look dull and old—so move for at least an hour every day. Also, try this great tip from my good friend Kathy Smith, the world-famous fitness expert. Each day, spend a few minutes on your bed with your head hanging over the edge—or get down on the floor and stand on your head if you can. This will bathe your skin in healing nutrients.
When you baby your skin in these ways during your diet, you’ll look in the mirror and say, “Hey—I look awesome.” People may even ask you if you’ve had work done. And when you lose your extra weight, you won’t just want to show off your new, slim body; you’ll want to show off your spectacular skin as well!
Keep thinking Big and living BOLD!